Regular Sessions and or Intensive Sessions
I developed MCCS to provide a much needed all round service for Couples in intimate relationships in Mayo and the West. In more recent times I have added working online with Video/Zoom so am now available to a wider community.
I started out as an individual psychotherapist in the 1990s but very early on in my career I felt drawn to learning how best to work with couples.
My own parents divorced when I was a teenager ….so not too surprisingly I wasn’t that great at relationships in my early adult life either!! Not helped by 7 years at an all-girls boarding school. I was naïve and an ill equipped novice, emotionally, for growing maturely in a long term committed relationship.
That transformed through my own experience of good couples counselling. It was a real eye opener, challenging at times but the learning all made sense. Ultimately this ignited my passion for helping other couples navigate through their stuck relationships with more self/other awareness, tolerance and understanding.
· To be more aware of how their own history creeps into the relationship
· To know how to calm their own reactions when triggered
· To learn how to maintain a strong sense of self in a connected
· To know how each must take an active part in creating the type of
relationship they would like to have.
ASK YOURSELF NOW
“How would I like my partner to see me”
Your answer to this is how you aspire to be and leads you to your goals .
I have trained in many and various approaches over those years. It’s an ongoing process for me of keeping up to date and involved with other experts in the field, worldwide.
For the last 10 years I have been privileged to be a part of the Couples Institute in California and am working closely with the truly exceptional founders of the Institute, Ellyn Bader and Pete Pearson. They are inspirational leaders in transforming the way therapists work with couples. Their innovative Developmental Model is fresh, inspiring, challenging yet easy to understand and above all it works.
For me Working with couples is a constant rewarding challenge and indeed a privilege. If clients are motivated to work then progress is well within their reach. Relationships really can be transformed with expert guidance and more often than not couples feel changes happening from the very first
BE IN SAFE EXPERT HANDS
Many counsellors who are individually trained dabble in couples work. In fact less than one in 10 have any substantial training in this highly specialised area. I am very wary of this and so should you be.
ASK YOURSELF NOW
"Would I go to a GP to treat a serious heart problem or would I feel
safer in the hands of a heart specialist”
Same world of difference!!
• Accredited Psychotherapist and Supervisor (IACP)
• Dip.in Psychodynamic Counselling Leicester University UK.
• Supervision Dip. Dublin Counselling and Therapy Centre. In conjunction with Middlesex University UK
• Graduate Certificate in Couples Therapy (Relate UK/University of East London)
• Further advanced study on working with couple dynamics at the Tavistock Centre for Marital Studies in London
• Level 1 and 2 training in the Developmental Model with Ellyn Bader and Pete Pearson – Couples Institute California
• Currently doing the Couples Institute’s Master Mentoring Programme in San Francisco.
WHAT IS ON OFFER
• REGULAR COUPLE COUNSELLING SESSIONS WEEKLY OR FORTNIGHTLY
90 MINUTE SESSIONS – FACE TO FACE OR ON LINE VIA ZOOM
• THE DEEP DIVE ACCELERATOR PACKAGE- FACE TO FACE OR ON LINE VIA ZOOM
• INTENSIVE COUPLES THERAPY. 1 or 2 Day sessions. FACE TO FACE COUNSELLING
By the time couples come in for help they are often feeling highly distressed, they have tried many things to help improve things with no lasting success. Or perhaps they have been suddenly thrown into crisis situation and don’t know how to move forward.
Most fall into one of 3 categories
1. They want to work through their issues and to improving their relationship
2. They want to Separate.
3. They are not sure. Maybe one wants out and one wants in.
I can help in all these areas.
Couples who are prepared to work will almost always feel more hopeful and feel a positive shift from the very first session!
This is a popular, innovative, new kind of couples therapy.
It's designed to help you get the most out of our time together
The Deep Dive Accelerator package fast tracks the work. It includes in-depth questionnaires before you come which would normally take, at the very least, three 90 minute, sessions to cover. The questionnaires are specifically designed to:
· help me do a personalised assessment of each of you as individuals, get an insight to your couple dynamic, plus an idea of what you both desire to achieve. This gives us a great head start and means we can get to the heart of the problems in the first session.
· help you start reflecting and organising your thoughts about yourself and your relationship before our first meeting. This will help you to really focus on the areas you specifically need and desire help on. The pre session reading articles will give you an insight to how I work and guide you in how to get the best out of your time in Couple’s Counselling.
The questionnaires and reading will take you time to complete before we meet ….so you will need to put aside a morning or evening to do these, it will really be to your benefit.
Likewise, I will spend considerable time going through all of your answers and assessing how best to use our time together.
Included in the Deep Dive Accelerator Pack are:
· 3 Assessment questionnaires. One of these is gathering all relevant information about you, and your relationship from the beginning. This is so I can fully assess where help is most needed and what focus will most benefit you. The other 2 are short questionnaires to give me an idea on what you each of you would like to achieve in counselling, and the kind of relationship you would like to create.
· An article on How to get the best from Couples Counselling…. This is a rich and packed article. Full of tips on how you can begin transforming your relationship.
· An article on the different components of Couples Therapy. Different areas that impact on all relationships and areas we will be exploring.
· 6 hours of face to face counselling (This can also be done on line via Zoom Video Meetings)
o Two, 1-hour individual sessions – I hour for each of you. Quickly followed by:
o One 2.5-hour joint session where we really get into working on your issues …you will begin learning skills and techniques that uniquely support you
o A final 1.5-hour joint session
· A Personalised Take Away Relationship Tool Kit …. this is put together specifically for you. This will be handouts and exercises that back up the work we have done, plus more. This will help keep you on track as you move forward
Once you have completed the Deep Dive Accelerator Pack you can come back any time for top up sessions. Some couples do continue with regular weekly or fortnightly sessions. Others may just come in for a check-up session after a month or two of putting what they have learnt into practice. We can discuss your needs in your last joint session.
1 Day Course
10 a.m.-5 p.m.
2 Day Course (usually consecutive days)
1st day 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.
2nd day 10 a.m. - to 4 p.m.
Includes a lunch break Tea/coffee on all days.
Initial phone calls with each of you to get an outline of what you wish to work on and what you hope to achieve in the Intensive plus to determine whether the intensive days are the best option for you. They are not suitable for everyone.
The Deep Dive Intensive Pre Counselling Package
A personalised take away tool kit. Which includes reading articles, exercises, and guideline handouts specifically relevant to your needs.
Follow up sessions, if required.
If you are getting married in the Catholic Church in Ireland then it is compulsory to complete a Marriage Preparation Course in Ireland. I have been running this course for 17 years for those getting married in the Catholic Church and for those who are marrying elsewhere who elect to take time out to reflect on their relationship and want personalised guidelines on how to be in a good relationship.
Some priests will insist on you doing the Accord Group Course, most are flexible and will permit you the choice of doing a recognised private course. Do check with you priest before booking.
This is a three-hour course with one relationship counsellor working with one couple. Each partner is required to fill out a questionnaire prior to the course related to key areas of good relationship building.
This gives me an insight into your relationship and areas that may need some focus to help smooth your way forward. My aim is to help you feel at ease as well as giving you valuable guidelines of how to manage difficulties in a relationship and how to strive for mutual fulfilment and commitment in your relationship. You will have an opportunity to get actively involved in defining your expectations, differences and ambitions.
Cate with Ellyn Bader (back row)
At the Master Mentoring Training San Francisco 2020
COUPLE’S COUNSELLING ON LINE TRAINING COURSE
FOR SMALL GROUPS VIA ZOOM/VIDEO
The Bader/Pearson Developmental Model
Integrating: Attachment, Differentiation and Neuroscience,
Creating the relationship you desire by being more aligned with person you aspire to be
I would like to invite you to train with me in Couples Therapy. This training features the Bader-Pearson Developmental Model of Couples Therapy plus elements from other models which are particularly useful in practice. This course will be open to a small group of motivated therapists who want to develop effective skills and interventions for working with couples.
The Developmental Model focuses on helping the couple’s therapist become a strong leader. To be the one who has the insight and ability to not only see the couple where they are, but to lead them to what they can become. To hold the picture of what it is they are trying to create and to help them take the developmental steps to get there.
“The Developmental Model of Couples Therapy explains normal and natural stages and struggles that growing couples encounter. The model provides a structure for couples therapy by identifying the developmental task, developmental stalemate, diagnosis and specific treatment intervention for each stage of development” Bader Pearson Website
ABOUT THE COURSE
This Training will be live online via ZOOM. Don’t panic if you are not used to Zoom, it is simple all you have to do is download the zoom app to your laptop or iPad and click on the link I send you and you are into our meeting room! It is an amazing resource. You will need a reasonable internet connection.
The course will consist of 9 two hour sessions, weekly or bi weekly…depending on public holidays. The training groups will be small i.e. maximum of 8.
Each participant will be sent my complete Foundations Skills in Couples Counselling Training Package. This includes written Lessons for each training session, Training Notes on skills and techniques,, plus handouts and exercises for you to learn from and use as resource to give to your couples.
It will be important that trainees are willing to read the written lessons and accompanying training notes and handouts before each session, The sessions then will be processing what you have learnt from your reading and Qs and As around these. I would encourage you to send in your questions before each session. Plus I will do some teaching, role play different scenarios with you and facilitate group discussion/interaction. There will also be video demonstrations of couple counselling sessions to support your learning.
Cost – € – CPD cert for 18 hours will be issued on completion
WHO IS THIS COURSE FOR:
Anyone who is a qualified counsellor/psychotherapist. If you are currently working with couples this will enhance your skills by integrating a highly effective model of couples therapy. For those with little or no experience working with coupes this is a unique opportunity to get started!
AIM OF THE COURSE
To provide an opportunity for learning how to work with The Developmental Model of Couples Therapy on a wide range of issues with couples. To enable you to competently expand and develop your existing skills and practice. To give you some golden nuggets to take into your work with couples!
SCROLL DOWN AND READ THE TESTIMONIALS FROM MY LAST TRAINING
• Overview of The Bader/Pearson Developmental Model
• The developmental stages: how recognising each stage helps the therapist provide effective treatment. ‘
• Differentiation ….What is it and why is it key in couple’s development
• How to be a powerful leader
• How to get off to a powerful start in early couple sessions
• The effective use of genograms in couples work
• Effective autonomous goals for your clients
• The Initiator-Inquirer process, helping couples develop effective communication and working actively with breakdowns in each role
• Understanding how our brains get triggered within the couple system and ways to soothe this.
• Understanding adult attachment and how we bring issues from the past into relationships.
• Ways to guide couples to more secure attachment functioning
• Recognising, understanding and working with hostile-angry couples
• Recognising, understanding and working with conflict-avoidant couples.
• Take away tools for you to use in your work with couples
This course may be for you if you would like to:
• Create increased cooperation between partners – even before your first meeting!
• Get off to a powerful start with your couple
• Know how to use the right intervention – and at what time
• Understand the importance of differentiation
• Recognise attachment styles and the underlying causes of distress
• How the fight, flight, freeze brain response impacts the couple and how to calm this
• Integrate theory with practical applications
TESTIMONIALS FROM TRAINEES ON MY LAST TRAINING COURSE
"Cate is highly knowledgeable in the area of couples therapy, she has huge experience in the field and is highly trained and this comes across in her expert assessment of couples and the complex interactions and dynamics between them. She is able to explain these complexities and her training is very broad and detailed. She gave us many tools and techniques to set us up for our journey in couples counselling. Cate is also keenly interested in the subject which makes it more enjoyable to participate in and listen to."
'You really are going above and beyond the call of duty, its excellent value all you are giving us on this training.... 110%, thank you so much. I have learned a ton already.'
'I have completed my first session as a couples counsellor.
Although I was doubting myself, I didn't doubt the training! What was really helpful was to not get caught up in content and focus on process.
The notes were great, I had the structure of the program to work with.
I found that we were really working in the room, working at looking at the process and I managed to maintain the positive neutrality and the boundaries'
'I really enjoyed the training, it really is a lovely group. I learned so much and we had fun too.'
'I really like that it is a structured program that gives couples tangible tasks to work on that will give them results. The role plays were really helpful too
You have put so much work into the training and the handouts/information; My experience was that you created some great conditions for us to learn and grow. '
Your knowledge and presentation were inspiring "
I moved from fear of couples counselling to curiosity and then confidence/optimism "
"This has given me a great grounding and I feel more confident now to sit with couples "
"Thanks for everything I have learned so much "
"I would absolutely recommend this training to others and already have! This is because there is a clear objective to the course and an identifiable structure and method for working with couples "
"Cate has in depth knowledge of this subject and it was a privilege to attend the course – wonderful delivery. She gave 110% over and above in her preparation, handouts and delivery.
I found the developmental Model was easy to understand and it made a lot of sense to me. I could see how it works well with coupes."
If you wish to apply FOR ONLINE TRAINING IN SMALL GROUPS please copy and paste the application form below, fill it in and send it to me as an email attachment. A non-refundable deposit of. will be required to secure your place. The balance due by …... I will send applicants bank details separately
APPLICATION FORM FOR COUPLE THERAPY TRAINING COURSE 2020 – MAYO
1. Name and address
2. Details of counselling/psychotherapy qualifications
3. Details of any couples counselling training/workshops attended (if any):
4. Do you work with couples? If so tell me a bit about that!
5. How did you hear about me/the training course